Leaves changing colours is a sure sign that fall has arrived. Many people feel that the gardening season is now officially over but not yet….there are still some tasks to take care of.
- If you have let your weeds take over, now is a good time to take control of them before they set their seeds and make new ones for next year.
- Fall is a perfect time to top dress lawns and over seed the thin areas on your lawn.
- Continue to water trees and shrubs especially evergreens. This helps with the winter moisture loss.
- Fall is an excellent time to amend your soil. Adding small amounts of compost now will give it time to be worked in by worms and the freeze/ thaw of winter.
- Plant some spring bulbs. Two of my favourites are daffodils and hyacinth. I have had good success with both of these because the squirrels seem to leave them alone.
- This is an excellent time to move plants around in your garden. The cooler temperatures help the plants to recover faster. I highly recommend moving any peonies that need relocating now.
Old man winter is just around the corner so take the time to get your hands dirty and have fun. If you are looking for me….you will find me in the garden.