We do not have an irrigation system in our yard. Instead we are careful to plant according to the growing conditions that we have. We do provide some extra TLC to our plants until they are established and then they are on their own. No weaklings in our garden. Plants need to beable to survive in the given growing conditions. Survival of the fittest!
A couple things that you can do in your own garden to help keep watering down:
- Mulch the plants
- Use a rain barrel to collect water for the plants.
- Divert downspout run off water to plants that may need extra water, to the lawn or to a rain barrel.
- Keep the length of the grass high. Approximately 2.5″. Leave grass clippings on the lawn.
- Plant drought resistant plants and native species.
- If plants need water to get established, use the rain barrel water or a soaker hose which brings the water to the roots of the plants.
‘Gardening requires lots of water-most of it in the form of perspiration”. -Lou Erickson